[EM] IRV - how many candidates per party?

Jeffrey O'Neill jco8 at cornell.edu
Sat May 8 06:55:01 PDT 2004

Jurij,

The only place in the US that uses IRV is SF.  I think it will be used for
the first time this fall.  In SF, the election is non-partisan.  It is
replacing an election+runoff system.  If no candidate got a majority in the
first round, then there would be runoff between the top two.

There are often more than two strong candidates.  Here are the results from
the first election for last year:

GAVIN NEWSOM  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .    87,196   41.92
MATT GONZALEZ .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .    40,714   19.57
ANGELA ALIOTO .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .    33,446   16.08
TOM AMMIANO.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .    21,452   10.31
SUSAN LEAL .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .    17,641    8.48
TONY RIBERA.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .     5,015    2.41

The runoff between Newsom and Gonzalez was quite close.

In Cambridge, MA they use STV for city elections.  These are also
non-partisan.  I don't think there are any other ranked ballot elections in
the US.

I imagine you know this already, but IRV/STV is used in Ireland, London,
Malta, Australia, and New Zealand.  I might be missing a few others.

Best,
Jeff