[EM] electoral college/Serious thoughts

Curt Siffert siffert at museworld.com
Sat May 1 19:56:02 PDT 2004

Dave -

I had a little trouble understanding what you wrote in your original
email.  But I don't think you have it wrong... I think.

I don't think awarding by congressional district is a good idea, due to
gerrymandering, and due to the scenario you describe (10 A electors).

I do think the best idea is to award EVs on a state level,
proportionally, depending on the popular vote in that state.  Assuming
I interpret your view correctly here, I agree with you.  At least, I
agree theoretically.  The problem is that I don't see how to implement
it fairly.

I think there is a problem in determining the percentage order of
finishers in a state, though.  To proportionally award EVs, you need to
be able to communicate the winners in a form relative to 100%:

49%  Bush
48%  Kerry
3%   Nader

You can do this with plurality, by only counting up first place votes,
but you get right back to the spoiler problems.  Since IRV focuses on
first-place votes, it has the same problem.

And Condorcet is not reliably communicable in this way.  How would you
approximate 100% worth of consensus, and communicate that Nader got x%
of that consensus, Kerry got x% of that consensus, etc?

In this example:

A->B: 60-40
A->C: 51-49
B->C: 51-49

A is the CW.  If A is ignored, B beats C.   However, C is a lot closer
to winning than B is, in terms of vote-switching cost.  If C was given
less EVs than B, C would have a very convincing political argument to
make in protest.

A few threads ago we talked about what sort of math to use to figure
this out - I'm still going through them to see how they fit a variety
of scenarios, but so far I'm not sure any of those counting ideas we've
come up with so far are robust enough for a presidential election.

So, due to my inability to see a clearly fair way to determine how to
award proportional strength, under any vote-counting system, I am
having trouble advocating proportional EV.

(The other problem is we'd have have to remove the thing that says if
anyone gets less than 270 EVs, it would go the House - this approach
makes the scenario much more likely.)

Curt