[EM] Re: Two definiltions of strategy

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon May 31 16:12:02 PDT 2004

Ernie--

Yes, the distinction between strategic voting and voting strategy is a good
one. Definition 1 is strategic voting, and definition 2 is voting strategy.

Regarding strategic voting,

You wrote:

"When a voter self-consciously marks a ballot in a manner inconsistent
with their actual preferences, in the hope of optimizing the outcome."

I reply:

Yes, but what about Approval? Strategic Approval voting isn't (except in
very implausible conditinos) inconsistent with actual preferences, in the
sense of contradicting some of them. But of course it might not (ususally
doesn't) vote all of the voter's preferences.

One could then say "Voting in a way that doesn't vote all the voter's
preference, for the purpose of optimizing the outcome".

But then sincere Plurality voting is strategic voting.

Maybe "Voting in a way that doesn't vote all the voter's preferences when
the method would allow them to all be voted, for the purpose of optimizing
the outcome."

But then there's no such thing as a strategic vote in Plurality or Approval.

Or "Voting in a way that falsifies a preference or fails to vote a
preference that the balloting system in use would have allowed the ballot to
vote in addition to the preferences that it actually did vote, for the
purpose of optimizing the outcome."

By my definiltion of sincere voting, that's the same as saying: "Insincere
votng for the purpose of otpimizing the outcome."

But then there's still no such thing as strategic voting in Approval (except
in those very implausible conditions that I mentioned).

So that's why I wrote definition #1 as I did. It was the only way that I
found to define strategic voting in a way that had  the consequences that I
expect a strategic voting definition to have.

Mike Ossipoff