[EM] Omission in voting definition yesterday

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon May 31 15:24:02 PDT 2004

When I posted my definition of fullly voting one candidate over another
yesterday, I left out an important clause:

"...if all the candidates but X & Y are deleted from the rankings, and..."

That clause is in the definitions of voting one candidate over another, and
it is needed also in the definition of fully voting one candidate over
another.

So the complete definition of fully voting one candidate over another is:

A voter fully votes X over Y if s/he votes in such a way that if there were
an even number of voters, and half of them voted in that way, and if all the
candidates but X & Y were deleted from the ballots, then it is impossible
for Y to be the unique winner, no matter how the other half vote.

[end of definition of fully voting one candidate over another]

Another error in that posting: I said that SDSCf closes the loophole that
allows some piont systems to meet SDSC. That isn't correct. Those point
systems meet SDSCf too. In fact SDSCf is easier to meet than SDSC.

Here's a criterion that point systems can't meet:

It should be possible to fully vote X over Y while fully voting Y over Z.

[end of definition]

I don't know what call that. Maybe Serial [or sequential?] Voting-Over
Criterion. Condorcet meets that criterion.

Mike Ossipoff