[EM] To James re: ATLO

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat May 29 17:40:01 PDT 2004

Mike wrote:
>I already said this, but it was buried in a long posting, and I wanted to
>say it with its own subject-line.
>If the A & B voters apply ATLO below their favorite, and rank sincerely,
>the co-operation/defection dilemma in James' example doesn't happen.
>Defection is foiled. In particular, when the A voters use ATLO and vote
>sincerely,
>the B voters, if they truncate or order-reverse against A, can't accomplish
>anything but the election of C. They'd know that, and they wouldh't try
>it.
>Mike Ossipoff

James replied:

Sorry, Mike, but I don't know what ATLO is. Please don't expect me to keep
track of all your acronyms... there are just too many.

I reply:

James, I couldn't care less what you keep track of. I've defined AERLO &
ATLO on EM in recent months. The intially posted definitions were in
postings that had the unabbreviated names of the options as their subject
line, so it can't be that they're difficult to find.  But  I repeated their
definition for you recently on EM.

The posting "ATLO foils defection in James' example" wasn't posted just for
you. It was posted to the list. It doesn't matter if there's someone (you)
who doesn't bother looking up the definition of the term used in the posting
that you were replying to. Nor does it matter what opinions are held by one
person (you) who's more inclined toward arrogant posturing than finding out
about the subject that he expounds on.

The world is full of jackasses, and one more or less doesn't make any
difference.

I've done you the undeserved courtesy of replying to your long, long,
rambling postings about your opinions of Condorcet problems. I replied to
your first one even though it was so long that my reply wouldn't post for
some days. I even began replying to your 2nd one, which merely repeats all
the statements that I'd already replied to.

You can forgive me if I don't waste any more of my time replying to your
latest long posting of repetition. Or any subsequent postings by you. That's
partly because it's a waste of time to talk to someone who won't look up the
meaning of the terms that I use, though they've been recently posted, and
even repeated for him in recent postings. If you expected me to write out
the definition of every term that I use, each time I use it, then you're
asking too much. Communication with such a person isn't possible.

As I always say when I stop replying to someone: When I don't reply to
James' postings (including the last 2/3 of the one that I began replying to
yesterday), that doesn't mean that he's said something irrefutable--it's
just that I'm not going to waste any more time wading through his postings
and replying to them.

You continued:

thanks,
James