[EM] Hyphenation-reply

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri May 28 17:36:01 PDT 2004

James--

I'd said:

>My objection to James G.A. isn't so much the extra letter as its
>unnecessarily close resemblence to James G.

You replied:

	Nonsense. There is nothing unclear about the difference between "James
G." and "James G-A" I can't imagine a scenario where the use of such an
abbreviation would cause any serious confusion.

I reply:

Did I say that they were indistinguishable? No, I said that they're
unnecessarily similiar, which they are.

I'd said:

>Here are some alternatives. Let me know which you prefer:
>G.A.
>JGA
>Jim

You replied:

	I'm sorry, I don't like any of those. James or James G-A will be fine.

I reply:

Ok. I don't want to call you things that you don't want to be called.
"James" it is. It doesn't distinguish you very well from James Gilmour, but
it will have to do

I'd said:

>By the way, usually hyphenated names are used by rich families. I suggest
>that the hyphenated rich have more to apologize for than to complain
>about.

You replied:

	What are you thinking? You obviously have no knowledge of my family
background, so why on Earth are you commenting on it here?

I reply:

I didn't say anything specifically about your family. I made a general
comment about hyphenated names, something that I did not bring up or make an
issue about.

But there's no reason to take offense. All I meant was that name-hyphenation
correlates positively with disproportionate wealth, and that
disproportionate wealth tends to involve culpability.

Mike