[EM] Condorcet strategy

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Fri May 28 05:22:01 PDT 2004

	In this e-mail I’m replying to Markus Schulze, Dave Ketchum, Fan de
Condorcet, Dave Ketchum, Adam Tarr, Eric Gorr, and Mike Ossipoff!!!

	For public elections, I'm recommending the following procedure.
1. Ranked vote. Pairwise tally. If there is a Condorcet winner, they take
office.
2. If there is no Condorcet winner, non-members of the Schwartz set are
eliminated from further consideration. In addition, there is a period of
time between votes where any member of the Schwartz set has the option of
dropping out of the race and removing their name from the second ballot.
3. A second ranked vote takes place. The Condorcet winner or completed
winner of the second vote takes office.

	I’ve discussed this topic on the list before at the following times:
	I first brought up concerns about Condorcet strategy on August 17, in a
thread called "serious strategy problem in Condorcet but not in IRV?" I
don't remember there being any consensus at the time that the strategy
problem was not in fact very serious.
	On December 17th, I re-organized my thoughts on this matter into a
posting called "a strategic problem and possible remedy for
Condorcet-efficient voting methods." (Which also exists on my web pages
now.) At that point I proposed the multiple-round procedure. There wasn't
much comment on it at the time, although some time later Mike Ossipoff and
I discussed it to some extent. He suggested that a two round procedure
would be adequate to solve whatever strategy problems existed in
Condorcet, although such a measure would be basically unnecessary because
such problems are not very severe. I have taken that into consideration,
and I wrote a posting on May 27 saying that while I still believe the
strategy problems to be severe, I am willing to accept a two-round
procedure as the best that we could realistically hope for in a public
election.

	There are basically two things at issue.
1. How serious is the strategy problem in Condorcet? Is it serious enough
to justify another balloting? Is it serious to render single-balloting
Condorcet less stable than IRV?
2. If there is a serious problem, would the second balloting significantly
mitigate that problem?
	At this point I think that the problem is very serious, easily serious
enough to justify another balloting if such a second balloting would help,
and possibly serious enough to render single-balloting Condorcet
critically unreliable as a voting method. I'm not entirely sure about
this, but that's the way it seems to me now. As for whether a second
balloting would significantly mitigate this problem, I'm not sure, but I
*hope* so.
	(Actually there is also a third, namely: is there a way of mitigating the
strategy problem that is both easier (i.e. one ballot) and more
effective... I have my doubts about one-ballot systems, but I suppose it's
possible... anyway, I don't go into those other methods in this e-mail,
although I am open to discussing them.)

	Many people seem to disagree with me on one or both of these questions...
let's see if we can get a meaningful and productive discussion going on
the topic. Myself, I'm open-minded about the issue, and I hope that you
can be open-minded as well. This e-mail is pretty long because I’m
replying to several different messages at once.
	Some people protested the implausibility of my Bush-Gore-Nader example. I
agree that a successful burial strategy in that situation was unlikely,
and I said that at the time. Here is an example in which it takes fewer
insincere votes to execute a burial:

Sincere preferences
27: A>B
25: B>A