[EM] Shutting down Yahoo Groups access; this group is not hosted at Yahoo

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Sun May 16 16:32:02 PDT 2004

Hi everyone,

After making repeated attempts to contact Yahoo, with no response, I'm
shutting down the Yahoo Groups access to the election-methods-list.

A little background, as I remember it (I may have some of the details
wrong).  Back in 1998, findmail.com started archiving this mailing list,
and providing a nice web-based interface for those that wanted to view
it.  It sometimes suffered performance problems, but all-in-all, it was
a good thing.  They published accurate subscription information for the
list.

Findmail.com was acquired by eGroups, who improved the performance
issues.  Then eGroups was acquired by Yahoo.  At some point along the
way, the subscription info was obscured, and it appeared that the group
was actually hosted by Yahoo, which in fact it wasn't.
What's worse is that I nor anyone I know has admin access to the group.
I've made repeated attempts to contact Yahoo about this to clear up the
situation, with no response.

I've received too many confused inquiries from users who *think* they
are subscribers to the proper list, only to figure out that they were
fooled by Yahoo.  Thus, the Yahoo Groups thing has got to go.  I'm tired
of supporting it.

For those that like using a web-based archive, I highly recommend
GMane's archive here:
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.politics.election-methods/

The ads are only non-intrusive Google text ads, and the interface is
quite good.

I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause for anyone.  However, I
believe this is a necessary step to making this list easier to support
and use.

Rob