[EM] Proper use of better-than-expectation Approval strategy

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sun May 9 17:39:02 PDT 2004

Say there's a progressive who lacks honesty on an important litmus-test
issue, but is still in most respects a genuine progressive.

And say you have to decide whether to vote for him/her in Approval.

Well, because s/she's a genuine progressive for the most part, and we know
what's likely to happen in the election, you could say that questionably
honest progressive is better than your expectation.

In a particular actual case, for someone who was a candidate in our EM
presidential poll, that didn't seem right.

And here's why:

The only time it would matter whether or not we voted for that candidate
would be if s/he were one of 2 candidates between whoml your ballot could
make or break a tie. But if s/he accomplishes that, then that says something
about the electorate. That's information that changes your expectation in
the election. Not only is Nader better than that questionably honest
progressive, but Nader is much more famous and popular. If that candidate
can be in the tie, isn't Nader, or at least some other progressisve, likely
to be the other candidate in the tie? Isn't your expectation much greater
when we assume that that progressive is one of 2 candidates between whom
your ballot can make or break a tie?

So, that candidate is no longer better than your expectation, and the
better-than-expectation strategy no longer tells you to vote for him. That's
better.

How the Pij are affected by the assumption that that candidate will be one
of 2 candidates between whom your ballot can make or break a tie is
something to take into account with other Approval strategies too, in
deciding whether or not to vote for that candidate in Approval.

Mike Ossipoff