[EM] electoral college/Serious thoughts

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat May 1 19:08:01 PDT 2004

I am looking at responses from Curt, Paul, and Adam.  They seem to think I
have it wrong, but I see nothing useful as to WHAT I have wrong.

Paul notes that two states elect electors by CD, which he calls
proportional, and wants all states to do this.
      Given a state with 8 CDs, each voting 60 A and 40 B, he would elect
10 A electors (remember the two senatorial).
      Doing actual proportional, I would do 6 A and 4 B electors.  This
should more closely match the popular vote, plus allow possibility of
minor party electors (who could have promised how they would respond once
it was clear their nominee was not about to become President).

Paul seems to offer nothing as to how his idea becomes salable to a state
such as NY, which now elects only Dem electors - while he wants NY to do
some Rep electors.

Curt has a minor complaint about what Paul offers.

Adam seems to dream of some magic that would make an amendment doable:
      His magic is not convincing.
      Needs clarification as to how 3/N and 54/M are even useful in magic.

Adam dreams that a near tie in a popular vote national election is not
worth preparing for:
      There HAS to be a law somewhere that the bigger the problem
associated with not being prepared, the greater the odds of the event
happening.
      Remember that near tie is not an absolute number, but based on how
big a change might result from a recount.

                  If you want peace, work for justice.