[EM] Approval & CR are 2nd best; Approval STV

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Mar 31 04:27:06 PST 2004

Mike,

 --- MIKE OSSIPOFF <nkklrp at hotmail.com> a écrit : >
> Approval & CR are the 2nd best, if we're talking about proposed methods.
> Bucklin and ERBucklin(whole) are between Condorcet and Approval, in merit.
> But Bucklin & ERBucklin(whole) aren't proposed.

In my opinion, Bucklin versions aren't better than Approval.  Strategy in
ERBucklin, as far as when to "compress" a ranking into an equality, becomes
a game of chicken, where the optimal strategy depends solely on what everyone
else guesses is *their* optimal strategy.

While Bucklin could catch a majority favorite, it also has compromising
incentive, which would cast doubt on its results.

A method I would rank between Condorcet and Approval is AER, or "Approval STV."
It's IRV, but the elimination order is based on approval.  Because the approval
counts don't change, and the elimination order is thus fixed from the beginning,
it's monotonic.  It's intuitive, and gives similar results to WV methods.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr