[EM] non-binding direct democracy system

Ernest Prabhakar drernie at mac.com
Fri Mar 26 06:45:36 PST 2004

[I'd suggest the name Condorcet Polling, as I think that captures your
essential features more concisely]

Hi James,

> 	Anyway, again I agree that your question is the logical next step to
> look
> in. I have made a couple suggestions here; what do you think?

Not bad.   Actually, I think something like Shadow Ministers might be
the right way to go.    However, rather than run them as a shadow
government, I almost think of it as a shadow think tank: the goal is to
build a broad exposure towards a richer suite of options; I (naively,
perhaps :-) believe that better ideas -- properly presented and widely
exposed -- will ultimately drive out worse ideas.

The easiest way to do this, in IMHO, would be to get some eminent
university to create a Shadow Parliament.    There's usually a wide
range of politically active students, which ensures diversity, and
hopefully a few clueful professors to help manage the process.   True,
the demographic proportionality may not match mainstream America, but
that's beside the point: the goal is to come up with a list of options,
so the ratios are more or less unimportant.

If we could get a place like, say, Harvard, Berkeley, or even MIT to
create such a Parliament, and periodically issue Condorcet Internet
Polls on the hot issues of the day, it would very likely generate media
interest.  One could imagine limiting it to registered students
(perhaps even at other schools) to avoid excessive ballot stuffing.  It
would get (fairly) criticized for not being scientific, but that might
generate enough enthusiasm for some real pollster to start using the
technique.

At any rate, I think the crucial 'bootstrap' process for any such idea
is to find a small, savvy, high-visibility group to prove it out, like
Debian did for Condorcet.  That allows one to tweak the system and
build credibility before facing the harsh media glare -- a method I
recommended for my own TOAD proposal
<http://radicalcentrism.org/debate_truth.html>,

I nominate Ohio, as that's the only place I know of with a student
Radical Centrist party <http://www.ohioradicalmiddle.com/>. :-)

-- Ernie P.