[EM] G-S theorem and random ballot

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Thu Mar 18 13:56:03 PST 2004

Joe Weinstein said:
> There’s more.  Consider a jurisdiction dominated by a single political
> party  which in turn is dominated by one or a few party bosses.  Or,
> suppose - as  here in California - the major parties agree on
> safe-district redistricting  plans which preserve advantages to
> incumbents and to locally majority  parties.  In either case, a sexy
> non-random ‘non’-dictatorial method will  nicely suit the actual
> dictator(s), whereas an unsexy ‘random dictator’  method will frustrate
> them.

When you put it in terms of California's ultra-gerrymandered legislative
districts, your idea of making political offices more like jury duty
starts to make a LOT more sense to me.  A whole lot more sense.  It might
not be the ideal system, but it sure beats the current one.

I sure wouldn't mind getting called up for legislative duty.

"The Chair recognizes the gentleman from Santa Barbara."

"Thank-you, Mr. Speaker.  I'd like to once again introduce a bill for the
legalization of all victimless crimes, and use my remaining time to argue
on its behalf..."

Alex