[EM] District continuity preserving re-districting

atarr at purdue.edu atarr at purdue.edu
Tue Mar 16 07:14:42 PST 2004

Quoting Niemzinski at ecybermind.net:

> I wasn't clear.  With a single objective optimization the best re-districting
> is
> the one that achieves the smallest (or largest for maximization) objective.
> The problem with multi-objective optimization for re-districting isn't that
> it
> can't be done.  The problem with it in this context is how do you determine
> which re-districting is "best"?

It's actually relatively simple.  You just need to design an objective function
that thakes all of your criterion into account.  Say you have some function
which calculates the P = summed "population moment of inertia" of the
districts, and the S = summed "severed transportation network links" of the
districts.  Both of these criterion should be minimized.

A reasonable objective function would be a*P + b*S, where a and b are chosen to
give the two criteria the relative importance desired.

Another reasonable objective function (I'd prefer this) would be (P^a)*(S^b),
again choosing a and b to give each criteria the relative importance desired.

And you could introduce the constraints mentioned by Matt.  Then set up some
sort of iterative nonlinear optimization program to search for a solution.

Of course, all I've done is abstract out your "how do you determine
which re-districting is 'best'?" question into the "what values should 'a' and
'b' have" question, but that's an easily defined problem, and you can tweak the
numbers if you don't like the results.