[EM] hand-counting IRV, AER

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Mar 4 14:35:12 PST 2004

Hello,

Steve Eppley wrote:
> To quickly
> tally Instant Runoff by hand:
>
>    Distribute the ballots into piles, each according to
>    its top-ranked candidate.  From the height of each pile,
>    you can see at a glance which pile has the fewest
>    ballots.  So, if there are more than two piles, take
>    the shortest pile, eliminate its candidate, and
>    redistribute its ballots to other piles according to
>    their highest-ranked non-eliminated candidate.
>    Repeatedly eliminate & redistribute the shortest pile
>    in this way until only two piles remain and elect the
>    candidate of the taller pile.

It occurs to me that if the ballots do need to be counted by hand, this
may be a small argument in favor of Approval-Elimination Runoff.  In AER,
the elimination order is fixed, so the piles can be sorted to begin with,
and there is no need to identify the smallest pile.  The only remaining tricky
part is gauging when one pile has a majority.

I'd like to note again that the static elimination order makes this IRV
variant monotonic.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr