Truncated preferences OK for Condorcet (was Re: [EM] Ignorance)

Ma Anguo maanguo at giga.net.tw
Wed Mar 3 19:01:01 PST 2004

Thanks Steve,

That's great stuff and it does indeed answer my questions.

I will soon upload two large documents documenting (for
beginners) a Condorcet ballot and a Condorcet matrix.
After that, I'll concentrate on the rather
sketchy/innacurate series of articles I posted
http://www.masquilier.org/republic/election/
including my 'proposal' that was based on a false assumption
(some replied privately pointing out some other potential
problems with it too).
So, now that the Agora is working to my satisfaction, I will
rewrite the whole 'election' section.
Of course, I will take into account everything that everyone
has written to me. Thanks.

On Thursday 04 Mar 2004 1:00 am, Steve Eppley wrote:
> (The
> website also provides proofs of satisfaction.  The proofs
> use mathematical symbols from the Microsoft symbol font,
> so I'm curious to know whether a GNU/Linux user like
> Augustin can easily display them.  Someday I'll translate
> them into pdf format, which should take care of any font
> problems.)

I had a look.
even though the font/encoding used is properly declared in
your page header, the mathematical symbols are replaced by
little squares, which typically happens when a character is
missing from (my) font set.
The charset cp-1252 is fully supported (i believe) in
GNU/linux, but it may be that I haven't installed the
proper fontset, simply because I never noticed it was
missing before.

Anyway, when I get to rewrite the Condorcet section, I'll
put a link to your page.

If I understand your MAM procedures well, casting a ballot
would no be any different from what I have now available in
the Agora. The difference would be in the way the winner is
computed.
In the Agora the (often tied) winners are computed according
to the SSD-beatpath algorithm. It is one of my aims in the
longer term to show who would be winner according to
different algorithms (see changelog/Road Map).
If you wish, I could add MAM, but only if my coding ability
is sufficient!
http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~seppley/MAM procedure
definition.htm
I haven't looked in much details yet, but I am not sure I
could come up with the appropriate algorithm (and one not
too resource consuming) for MAM.
In any case, that would be for a bit later: I have to
rewrite the articles mentionned above first.

Thanks for your detailed reply.
Thanks for your time,

Augustin.

--
www.masquilier.org
Condorcet, Approval alternative voting.

In order to prevent people from receiving viruses
that would seem to originate from my email,
if you use Microsoft Windows you do not have permission
to add this address to your address book.
If I am in your address book, please remove me.
Of course, this does not apply to GNU/Linux users.
Thank you.