[EM] Suggested Poll [WAS: Re: Arrow's axioms]

wclark at xoom.org wclark at xoom.org
Wed Mar 3 07:31:36 PST 2004

Steve, excellent post.  I have to nit-pick one point, though.

Steve Epply wrote:

> I think it's dangerous to argue for a weak reform now and then later
> come back and say "we were only kidding, here's something that will
> really work."

I agree -- so long as we're restricted to only arguing for one type of
reform.  I don't think that's the case.  I don't think that in order to
support Condorcet, we need to oppose IRV (for example.)

I always think of this in terms of something like an actual Approval vote,
and I'm saying that I approve *both* Condorcet and IRV.  I'd still rank
Condorcet (far) higher -- but I'd approve them both.  (Or at least I would
have at one point... I'm finding myself more and more convinced that IRV
is even worse than I thought -- but for the moment I think I'd still
approve it.)

Anyway, unless it's already been done (and unfortunately, given the search
terms I'd have to use, researching this in the archives is downright
impossible) I propose that we have a vote on voting systems.  Obviously we
should wait until the US Presidential poll is done, but I think something
along the same lines but for voting systems would be quite interesting.

-Bill Clark

--
Ralph Nader for US President in 2004
http://votenader.org/