Arrow's axioms (was Re: [EM] Re: [Fwd: Election-methods digest, Vol 1 #525 - 9 msgs])

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Mar 3 06:59:16 PST 2004

Ken Johnson wrote:
-snip-
> > From: "wclark at xoom.org" <wclark at xoom.org> ...
> >> But why did Arrow stipulate #1?  (rank method)
-snip-
> Based on the preceding discussions, I infer the following:
> (1) Arrow's theorem is based on an unjustified and
> (according to the theorem's conclusion) indefensible
> bias in favor of ranked methods.
-snip-

I consider Arrow's axioms justifiable.  In the decades
leading up to Arrow's theorem, economists and social
scientists had struggled in vain to find a good way to
compare different individuals' utility differences (known
in the literature as the problem of "interpersonal
comparison of utilities") in order to be able to calculate
which outcome is most utilitarian.  That is, they were
interested in being able to sum for each alternative the
utility of that alternative for each voter, so they could
elect the alternative with the greatest sum.  By Arrow's
time, they'd learned that, lacking mind-reading
technologies, they couldn't elicit cardinal utilities that
could be compared between individuals, for instance to
compare the utility difference between your "100" candidate
and your "0" candidate to the utility difference between my
"100" candidate and my "0" candidate.  Simply summing our
reported numbers, which don't have units (such as dollars)
attached, would not help them find which alternative had
the greatest utility.  If each voter is constrained to
assign numbers within a given range, such as 0 to 100, then
the sum would not be the utilitarian sum.  Maybe these sums
aren't worthless, but they need careful scrutiny.

Also, as you know, asking each voter to freely assign
numbers within some range would create a strong incentive
for individual voters to exaggerate, so that in the long
run the information elicited from the voters by a cardinal
utility method would be no greater than the information
that can be elicited by Approval.

In the worst case, the socially responsible voters would
fail to exaggerate and the selfish voters would exaggerate.
I consider this case extremely disturbing.

Arrow also reasoned that the information about the voters'
preferences that can be elicited by Approval is far less
than the information that can be elicited by letting each
voter express an ordering of the alternatives.  That makes
sense to me, and I further believe that the best methods of
tallying preference orders will lead to better outcomes for
society than if Approval is used, over the long run.  I'm
perfectly willing to trade complete satisfaction of Arrow's
"choice consistency" axiom (while satisfying all the other
Arrow axioms) for outcomes that, over the long run, are
better for society. (For a description of Arrow's theorem
in the framework where choice consistency is one of the
axioms, justifications of each axiom, and a simple proof of
the theorem, follow the link to Arrow's theorem at my
website at "http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~seppley".  Note
that "choice consistency" was Arrow's name for this axiom,
not mine.)

The best justification for requiring satisfaction of choice
consistency is not, in my opinion, the aesthetic value of
consistency.  It's the thorny problem that arises, if
choice consistency is not satisfied, about deciding which
candidates to nominate.  For a current example, look at the
Democrats deciding their presidential nominee(s).  In
principle, they could nominate more than one candidate, but
the manner in which plurality rule fails choice consistency
gives each party a strong incentive to nominate at most one
per office (and sometimes zero, to be socially responsible
by avoiding nominating a spoiler that makes the outcome
worse). (Should I take a moment to argue that Nader should
have competed in the Democrat primaries, where he would
have been able to fully participate in the debates, rather
than run in the general election?  This isn't the old days
when parties didn't offer primary elections to choose their
nominees, leaving Progressive candidates with no
alternative but to run as third party candidates.  Nader
argues his right to run, when the debate is really about
whether it's socially responsible for him to run in the
general election.)

Approval only satisfies Arrow's choice consistency in a
narrow technical sense, by boldly assuming voters'
decisions about which candidates to "approve" or
"disapprove" are independent of the set of nominees.  But
this assumption is indefensible.  Society has a lot of
experience with a voting method that is very similar to
Approval, also called Approval, which asks each voter to
vote "yes" or "no" on ballot propositions. (Continuing the
status quo is implicitly one of the alternatives.)  When
propositions conflict so that at most one of them may pass,
which is analogous to a single-winner election with more
than 2 candidates, enough voters tend to vote "no" on
compromises (to avoid defeating preferred alternatives, or
to express their preference for preferred alternatives)
that the status quo can often win even when the compromise
is more popular.  As a result, the conventional wisdom is
to place only one proposition on the ballot, rather than
let the voters decide between 2 or more conflicting
propositions.  That smells like the two-party system, with
each party nominating only one candidate per office.

Regardless of the voting method, rational choice theory
models each voter's sincere preferences as being consistent
with some ordering of the alternatives. (Even if her
preferences are cardinal utilities.  There is plenty of
empirical evidence regarding observations of individual
choices from a varying set of alternatives that demonstrate
individual choice consistency, which means each individual
chooses as if her preferences were consistent with an
ordering.  The evidence isn't perfect, since in complex
situations, such as choosing a preferred lottery, it's
common for individuals to employ simplifying strategies
that can lead to minor inconsistencies.)  Consider the
following scenario, in which the voters' sincere
preferences are represented as orderings:

   40%: A>B>C
   33%: B>C>A
   27%: C>A>B

You'll recognize the majority cycle, which demonstrates the
choice inconsistency of every voting method that reduces to
majority rule when only 2 candidates compete.  If we make
the assumption that, given only 2 candidates, Approval will
behave like majority rule (because voters will approve one
and disapprove the other to avoid wasting their votes),
then Approval shows the same choice inconsistency: the
alternative that wins when all 3 candidates compete, given
those cyclic preferences, will lose if a particular losing
alternative is dropped from the set of nominees.  For
example, suppose the Approval winner is A when all 3
compete.  If only A & C compete, C would win (since we're
assuming that most of the 60% who prefer C over A would
approve C but not A) but choice consistency demands that A
still win.  Thus the problem of which candidates to
nominate does not go away under Approval, and the
conventional wisdom based on experience with "yes/no"
voting on propositions is to nominate only one proposition
to compete against the status quo.  So I'm skeptical about
the value of Approval as a reform, and I don't accept the
claim that the only Arrow axiom it violates is universal
domain (which requires every ordering be an admissible
vote).  I'd rather use a voting method that encourages
competition to be the best compromise, so voters can rank
less-corrupt compromise candidates over more-corrupt
compromise candidates.  And I think it's dangerous to argue
for a weak reform now and then later come back and say "we
were only kidding, here's something that will really work."

Furthermore, I'd rather use a voting method that also
allows each voter to express her preferences for favorite
alternatives by ranking them over compromise alternatives.
Unless we require that everyone vote (as Australia does),
it stands to reason that voters will be more motivated to
vote if they can rank their favorites over compromise
alternatives, which I believe will be useful for reducing
the bias against people who are "too busy" on election day
to vote, at least for the people who are only slightly too
busy.