[EM] another idea (proportionality and intra-party competition)

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Mar 24 08:22:02 PST 2004

Here's another idea.  I wonder if it's in use somewhere?

Open list.  Each voter votes for one list, and *any number* of candidates within
that list.  So it's Approval within the party, and the party's median voter could
theoretically elect all the candidates for the party.

The advantage over the SNTV open list (e.g. Brazil) is that it shouldn't any longer
be advantageous for candidates to carve up niches within a district, concentrating
there.  Every candidate should try to get every voter (for the party) to approve them.

An obvious defect is that this Approval-based open list won't preserve any
proportionality *within* the party.  But maybe this is a good thing: When a certain
(possibly more extreme) faction finds they can't get anyone elected under this
system, the clear thing for them to do is to run their own party list.  This makes
particular sense to me if there are at least around 10 seats, or something more
forgiving than d'Hondt is used.

I have difficulty imagining that a faction based on some very local interests
would find success by breaking off from the main party.  I might be wrong.

Any thoughts?

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr