[EM] Plurality is not a "yes/no voting system"

tomruen at juno.com tomruen at juno.com
Sat Jun 5 23:51:02 PDT 2004

Adam Tarr says Approval voting can fit under "Yes/No voting" or "Ratings voting", however I deny that plurality can be classified as a "yes/no" voting method.

Labeling a class of methods as "yes/no" to me implies a series of independent questions where a valid respond can consider independent responses on each question.

A method that allows independent answers is a categorical "ratings method".

A method that has a limitations on answers can only be a "rank" system.

It only makes sense to call "plurality" a "rank system". It simply limits the ranking depth to one.

If people disagree the wikipedia Voting system page should not have a "one vote" category of single winner systems, then I propose we reduce it to two catagories "ratings" and "rankings", and move Approval to "Ratings methods", and Plurality (and runoffs) to special cases of "Ranking methods".

Tom Ruen