[EM] James' real cool diagrams

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Sun Jul 25 17:14:28 PDT 2004

Mike wrote:
>I'm sorry but the; meaning of that isn't entirely clear. If I could make
>suggestion, you might not want to partake of recreational substances when
>posting to EM.

	Don't know if you're being playful, if you actually disapprove, or if you
just want to take me down a peg.
	I'm not sure if you know this, but what you call the Smith set is also
known as the minimal dominant set, or the GETCHA set. GETCHA stands for
GEneralized Top CHoice Axiom.
	What you call the Schwartz set is also known as the union of minimal
undominated sets, or the GOCHA set, which stands for Generalized Optimal
CHoice Axiom.
	If these nicknames seem wacky to you, I didn't make them up. Actually
they were made up by Thomas Schwartz, as in "the Schwartz set" Schwartz.
	See Thomas Schwartz, "The Logic of Collective Choice", Columbia
University Press, 1986.
	As for "D ain't not in the nuthin' set", that simply means that D is in
neither of the two sets. The reason I put all the slashes and everything
is to make light of the bewildering variety of names for the two sets.

>Go for it. But try not to post when you're all f***ed-up.

	Can you relax, man? Sometimes it's okay to use playful language to get
serious points across.
	In other words, why you gotta be hating all the time?

James