[EM] Minimally improving Approval

Gervase Lam gervase.lam at group.force9.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 13:50:02 PST 2004

> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:50:55 +0100 (CET)
> From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Kevin=20Venzke?=
> Subject: [EM] Minimally improving Approval

I've been half thinking about this and also one of things that Forest
sort of mentioned that really it would be nice for MCA to have a moveable
top slot "quota" instead of the fixed 50%.  The quota would be determined
by the issue distribution of the population/voters.  One way this could be
done is to take a leaf out of Weighted Median Approval.

Making just the top slot the approval slot, just get the Approval
percentage for each of the candidates has then average them.  The
candidate with the largest percentage that is above the quota is the
winner.  If there is no candidate who achieves the quota, then the
candidate with the least number of bottom votes is the winner.

I don't know whether this is a good method or not.  I did think of making
each of the candidates have their own quota by directly using the Approval
percentage.  But that is obviously rubbish.

I think this average Approval quota method may have clone problems and is
not Independent of Irrelevant Alternatives.  But I really mention the
method in the hope that somebody make changes to improve it or at least
use it for inspiration.

Thanks,
Gervase.