[EM] SciAm article

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Feb 18 12:16:02 PST 2004

Forest Simmons wrote:

-snip-

> The authors eloquently promote the CW as the true majority
> winner, and explain their theorem that methods that do
> not choose the CW are further from satisfying the IIAC
> than methods that do.
>
> They also express the believe that the completion method
> doesn't matter too much because according to a theorem
> of Black, Condorcet cycles should be rare in political
> elections.

If that's Black's "median voter" theorem, it assumes the
candidates take positions on a 1-dimensional spectrum.  A
rather bold and shaky assumption, in my opinion.  I think
the widespread view that candidates are arrayed along a 1-
dimensional "liberal-conservative" spectrum has been
induced by the long term use of primitive voting methods,
which force candidates trying to win to belong to one of
two (or a few) big parties, and more or less toe the party
line.

Charlie Plott's theorem shows that when the issue topology
is at least 2 dimensions, then it's almost always the case
that for every point in the issue space, there exist an
infinity of other points that are preferred by a majority.
(In other words, no point is a Condorcet winner.)  Of
course, there aren't an infinity of candidates in public
elections, but candidates can choose their platform point
and are motivated to find a platform that will be preferred
by a majority over their leading rival's platform.

> Also the authors express the opinion that strategic
> considerations are more of a concern in small group
> voting and not so much in large scale elections.

If they are referring to voting strategies, that may be
true, since many people aren't strategically-minded.  But
we must also consider nomination strategies, which is why
"independence" criteria are important.  In large public
elections, the stakes are high enough that nomination
strategies will be employed if they are expected to be
effective.