[EM] Minimally improving Approval

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Feb 13 12:42:02 PST 2004

How about this:

A preliminary ranking of the candidates by approval scores is modified by
correcting the single greatest "discrepancy" (if there is any) unless
correcting this discrepancy would create another discrepancy of the same
or greater magnitude.

A "discrepancy" is a pair of candidates who (according to a majority of
ballots) is ranked in the wrong order.  Correction of a discrepancy is
accomplished by swapping the positions of the two candidates involved.

The highest ranked candidate of the final ranking is the winner.

Alternately, the corrections of discrepancies (by the same rule) could be
continued until no further correction could be made without introducing
another discrepancy of the same or greater magnitude.

The pairwise matrix with approval scores along the diagonal would be
sufficient for this method.

I'm not sure that it would be simple enough to be called minimal
improvement.  For that matter, I'm not even sure that it is any
improvement.

If the swaps were limited to adjacent pairs, then it could be compared to
the standard method that drill sergeants and PE teaches use to get folks
lined up in descending order of height, with the "greatest discrepancy
first" rule removing the inherent ambiguities of that process familiar to
all who have participated in it.

Also if the swaps were limited to adjacent pairs, the proviso about
introduction of new discrepancies could be dropped.

However, I believe that limiting swaps to adjacent pairs might do more
violence to the FBC than the other versions do, since one might worry
about one's favorite blocking the progress of one's compromise up through
the ranks without having the steam to go as far up as compromise would if
it could only get past favorite.

Finally, I know this method is something like Steve Eppley's MAM, so
forgive me if one of my variants duplicates one of his. In any case I
don't think he ever proposed it for three slot ballots.

Forest