[EM] In effect and in voting theory, Plurality is a rankings method. (Supplementary Vote)

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 16:46:02 PST 2004

Steve Barney
> FYI, also known as the "Second Choice Vote," it was used
> statewide in the
> Wisconsin election of 1914 (see appendix in
> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/InstantRunoffWI/message/33>),
> and a bill for
> reinstating in was sponsored by a Wisconsin State Senator by
> the name of
> Morticai Lee shortly after the 1980 spliting of the vote
> which resulted in
> the election of President Ronald Reagan. More recently,
> Morticai put in a
> plug for it in his Jan. 16 appearance on Wisconsin Public TV
> ("Here and
> Now" Transcript #000228,
> <http://www.wpt.org/npa/transcripts/index.cfm?did=7741#2>.

>From my reading of the transcript, Morticai Lee appeared to be advocating the use of the "Second
Choice Vote" in situations where there were or would be only three candidates.  Then it's no worse
(and no better) than IRV.  Our problem in the UK mayoral elections is that there are usually more
than three candidates (11 in London  -  four with serious support).  Then SCV (= SV) is a disaster.
James