[EM] Missed nominations. Poll issues.

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 17:08:05 PST 2004

James--

I'd said:

"MIKE OSSIPOFF" <nkklrp at hotmail.com> writes:
>Here is the ballot for the presidential poll. There are 24 candidates,
>unless I've missed on, which isn't likely.

You replied:

	As I remember, Howard Zinn, Noam Chomsky, and Robert Byrd were all
seconded. So I think that they should be on that list.

I reply:

Sorry about that. I just forgot them, and didn't find them when I read the
poll e-mail when making the ballot. I throught that I'd read all the
postings that mentioned the poll in their subject line, but maybe there were
nominations in postings that didn't mention the poll in their subject lines.

Also, Al Gore was nominated too, and I forgot to include him too.

Were Zinn, Chomsky, Gore  & Byrd the only ones that I missed?

I'm going to post a new ballot that includes those.

It seems to me that the voting deadline should be a week after the
_complete_ ballot is posted.

I'm going to go through all the postings posted since I proposed the poll,
to look for other nominations.

You continued:

Also, I would like
to suggest that you'all rank Al Gore

I reply:

Gore was nominated--I just forgot to include him.

You continued:

(the incumbent ; )

I reply:

That's right--Gore is the legitimate incumbant president. That, by itself,
is enough reason to include him in the poll even if he hadn't been
nominated.

Of course he has a disadvantage: Our experience with him as vice-president.

It doesn't take any experience to recognize Kerry as the worst remaining
Democrat, but some of the other Democrats have a chance of being better than
Gore.

You continued:

	As for the methods being used, I noticed that plain ole IRV wasn't on
Mike's list. I suppose that's not too important, though, since the raw
data will be publicly available, and anyone who wants to can run an IRV
tally. So, yeah, I hope someone does that. Maybe I will, I dunno.

I reply:

Since the complete ballot hasn't been sent out yet, shouldn't we call that a
nomination for IRV's inclusion?

Also, someone suggested a different way of counting the CR ratings, and I
forgot to include that in the list of nominated methods. So I'll post a more
complete list that includes the modified CR and ordinary IRV.

I'd nominate NES, but then I'd have to count it. I'd nominate SMA, but since
I'm the one who is late in posting the complete ballot, it's questionable
whether the late ballot should allow me to make a late nomination. But of
course, nominated or not, there's no reason why I shouldn't post an SMA
result after the pairwise matrix is posted. In fact, with that pairwise
matrix, anyone could easily determine the SMA winner, from its posted
definition.

You continued:

	Should I make the subject heading on my ballot "my ballot"?
I reply:

Yes, that's what I suggest, to make the ballots easy to recognize. The
subject line needn't contain the voter's name, since that's automatically
listed.

But if you modify your ballot, as you're allowed to at any time up to the
voting deadline, as many times as you want to, it would be best to include
the date and time in your subject line, just in case you post 2 ballots that
post in order different from that in which you sent them.

Maybe this goes without saying, but I want to clarify it: It seems to me
that even though this is a poll for the U.S. president, everyone anywhere
should be able to have a vote that counts equally toward the winner by each
method. We've all noticed how our presidents have an effect outside the U.S.

Mike Ossipoff