[EM] Two concerns about EM's presidential poll

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Feb 17 12:50:34 PST 2004

Hi,

I'm not suggesting abandoning the straw poll in EM about
presidential candidates.  But I have two concerns:

1. Potential allies for voting method reform may get the
idea that certain voting methods are popular mainly amongst
their political opponents, and change from allies to
obstructionists.  For example, if some Democrat (or Green,
etc.) trounces Bush in the poll, then Republicans who learn
of the poll results might become (more) leery of reform.

2. Casual readers may incorrectly get the idea that our
voting method reform proposals involve scrapping the
Electoral College.  I wouldn't oppose tweaking the EC to
remove the bias favoring small states (an amendment which
will never pass since the small states would veto it).  But
I don't think the EC should be eliminated because it causes
a couple of effects that seem positive: (1) It forces
candidates to compete "broadly" to be the best compromise
in the states that pre-election polls indicate are closely
divided, rather than run up their totals where they are
"favorite sons" and (2) if a recount is needed, it can be
confined to one or a few states rather than requiring a
nationwide recount.  The 2nd effect seems especially
important, after seeing what happened in the 2000 election
and imagining what a nationwide recount would have
entailed.
* *
An important question that I believe should be polled
periodically (hopefully including other people outside EM
who are knowledgable about voting methods) is to rank the
various criteria used to compare voting methods for public
elections.

I rank criteria justified only by "aesthetic consistency"
below any having a well-reasoned justification about making
society better off.  Although an argument can be made that
some voters may complain or regret when a consistency
criterion is violated, and that their complaint or regret
may harm society, I think such arguments can be dismissed
unless empirical evidence exists that show a particular
kind of inconsistency causes harm.  Furthermore, it's
impossible to satisfy all consistency criteria, so without
empirical evidence about harm we're left to wonder whether
arguments justifying the various consistency criteria
cancel each other out.