[EM] Preferences are not transitive

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 14 04:12:02 PST 2004

Markus--

When I asked you what you mean by "preferences",  you told me that it
doesn't matter what "preference" means, as long as it means something that
is ordered and transitive. But preference needn't be transitive.

If candidates differ on more than one issue or attribute, then a rational
person can have intransitive preferences between candidates.

I suggest that you stick with apples.

"If more than half of the respondents say that apple X is sweeter than apple
Y..."

But wait, here's a radical new suggestion:

You could word it in terms of voting.

In fact, voting is what these methods are intended for.

Markus, that's why they're called "voting systems."

Mike Ossipoff