[EM] Markus: You still haven't defined "prefer". So your criteria remain undefined.

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 12 03:42:01 PST 2004

Markus--

You said:

I suggest that you should read how other people define
criteria.

I reply:

Thank you, Markus. I've read a number of  definitions of criteria, and that
means that I've read of how people define criteria.

And, in your previous posting, we all read how you define some criteria.
Except that you didn't define them, because you use a word "prefer", which
you still haven't defined.

Sure, "prefer" has a meaning. For the purpose of election results, someone
prefers X to Y if s/he would rather have X win than Y. Alternatively worded,
s/he prefers X to Y if s/he considers that it would be better if X won than
if Y won.

Maybe that's what you mean by "prefer". If that's what you mean by prefer,
then, as I said,
the criteria that you wrote are a kind of criteria that you said that you
don't like. You said that criteria should only mention cast ballots, not
preferences.

You seemed (?) to imply that that is not what you mean by "prefer".

And, if that isn't what you mean by "prefer", then it remains unknown what
you mean by "prefer".
In my previous posting about this, I suggested that maybe, to  you,
"preference" means voted pairwise comparison. And I defined voted pairwise
comparison.

But it seems to me that the criteria "definitions" in your previous posting
used the verb "prefer" rather than the noun "preference". So the
briefest-defined approach would be to state the brief definition for what I
might _guess_ that you mean by "prefer":

A voter "prefers" X over Y if s/he votes X over Y.

If that's what you mean by "prefer', then it would be better if you spoke of
votes instead wanting to change the meaning of "prefers" in that way.

But this is all guesses, since you haven't told us what you mean by
"prefer".

Definitions of voting X over Y have been posted to EM.

Markus, if you don't tell us what you mean, no one will know what you're
trying to say.

Mike Ossipoff