[EM] Poll details

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 12 03:23:12 PST 2004

When  0-100 CR was nominated, that made it a poll method. What was nominated
was 0-100 CR, with a request that people rate sincerely.

But it must be understood that sincere ratings can resemble strategic
ratings. So if someone votes ratings that look like strategic ratings, it
shouldn't be said that that person has rated strategically.

The question was asked to whom the votes should be sent. I suggest the
following:

1. Votes should be posted to EM. I'm curious what rankings and Approval
ballots would be voted,
    and no doubt many others are too. Also, for some methods, such as
Approval, any one of us can
    count those votes to determine the winner. But rankings should be posted
to the list also,
    partly because only 2 of the nominated methods are counted by the
websites. Partly, as I said,
    because we're all curious what rankings and Approval ballots would be
voted.

2. Additionally, Rankings should be posted to the 3 rank-counting websites
that have been
    mentioned on EM.

   When that has been done, the owners of the websites should report their
results by posting
   them to this mailing list. They should also post the pairwise defeats
matrix, or the pairwise
   vote-totals matrix. That matrix would make it possible to determine the
results of additional
   methods that use that matrix, other than just MAM & BeatpathWinner. Such
as SSD.

3. After the voting deadline has been passed, there should be an additional
week in which any
   voter may truncate hir ranking, or move one or more candidates up to 1st
place. That's to
   counter the possibility that someone could devise successful
order-reversal strategy from the
   rankings that have been posted before hirs.

So it seems to me that it isn't necessary for there to be one or two people
to whom the ballots are sent. Just post them. (and also vote the rankings at
the count websites, for MAM & BeatpathWinner results). I don't think there's
any need for voting to be concealed.

But if there's objection to posted votes, let it be expressed, and we can
discuss it during the current nominating period.

Forest suggested a week for nominations, and I pointed out that that means
that the nominations deadline is 16 February, at 1200 GMT.

Let's say that as soon as the nominations deadline arrives, one or more of
us will post lists of the nominated candidates, and the nominated methods.

And that someone will also post ballots to this mailing list. Sure, it's
possible for people to write their own rankings, without pre-constructed
ballots, but the ballot helps because it lists the candidates.

The ballot should have a column with candidate names, a column for rank
numbers, a column for Approval votes, and a column for CR ratings.

Let's say that the voting deadline is 1 week after the nomination deadline.
That's 23 Februrary, at 1200 GMT.

As I suggested, at that time, the website owners should post to EM the
winners by the methods that they count (MAM & BeatpathWinner), and also post
to EM the pairwise defeats array or the pairwise vote-totals array.

And also as I suggested, there should then be a 1 week period durng which
anyone can truncate their ranking, or move one or more candidates up to 1st
place (but not change their ranking in other ways).

I also suggest that, during the voting period, anyone should be able to
change their vote in any way they want to, however many times they want to,
until the voting deadline.

Mike Ossipoff