[EM] Regarding the poll

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 11 00:49:02 PST 2004

Forest--

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

>So let's have 3 days for nomination. Let's say that the deadline for
>nominations is 1200 GMT, on 12 February,  '04.

Let's go with Forest's suggestion to have a week for the nominations. That
means that the deadline for nominations is 16 February, 1200 GMT.

That goes for nominations of methods and/or candidates.

The method and candidate nominations are duly noted. I don't know that they
need a second, because no harm is done having candidates who don't get other
votes.

Those all sound like good candidates, all a lot better than the ones who are
likely to win the actual presidential election, better than the expectation
for that election, and so I second them all.  Does anyone know who is
running for nomination in the Greens Party? I guess one could check the
Greens' website for that.

For any method that is nominated, whatever balloting it uses becomes one of
the poll's balloting modes. Equal ranking at any rank position is permitted
in the Condorcet versions advocated on EM, and of course truncation is
permitted too. The nomination of MCA means that Approval cutoff can be
specified with a ranking.

I should emphasize that, in the RP & BeatpathWinner that I nominate, and as
those methods have been proposed here, any ballot not voting X over Y, or Y
over X, is _not_ counted as voting either or both of those pairwise
preferences.

If a ranking doesn't specify an Approval cutoff, what should the default be?

Rankings should be sent to the 2 Condorcet count websites, Eric's website
and the BeatpathWinner count website, but rankings should also be posted to
this mailing list, partly because the the websites only count RP &
BeatpathWinner, and so the rankings should be posted here so that rank
methods other than RP & BeatpathWinner can be counted by list-members.

Of course I request that the count websites post to EM the pairwise defeats
matrix, or the pairwise vote-totals matrix.

Let me add a nomination: I nominate Cynthia McKinney, who would make a
better president than any of the candidates who get frequent mention on tv.

Should the nominees have to be American? Unless people object that nominees
have to be American, I nominate the mayor of London, a refreshingly
outspoken and perceptive individual.

Of course since I'm nominating him, I should look up his name.

Mike Ossipoff