[EM] eBooks - naming - MAM-d

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Wed Feb 4 10:05:04 PST 2004

(Posted with Ernest's permission)

At 9:30 AM -0800 2/4/04, Ernest Prabhakar wrote:
>On Feb 4, 2004, at 8:59 AM, Eric Gorr wrote:
>>Considering that this method is (as near as I can tell) identical
>>to MAM in every way, but one. The way it differs from MAM is that
>>it does not contain any random selection procedure when faced with
>>equal defeats, which are apart of a cycle, choosing instead to
>>reject those defeats - which is why the word 'deterministic' is
>>used.
>>
>>So, for a nice short name, it could be called MAM-d ... where the
>>'d' stands for  'deterministic'.
>
>Interesting.   I'm curious how such rejection affects things like
>clone-independence.

It is clone-independent.

>I'm learning to like MAM, but the TieBreaker is a royal pain, since
>it requires tracking individual ballots (or at least aggregates
>thereof), not just the summary matrix.    Also, any method that
>includes a random element is harder to justify in a public debate
>(though committees might accept it).

Agreed. The other reason why I dislike the random element is that I
believe it may mask a genuine tie between two or more alternatives.
While such a tie would likely be resolved via a random selection, it
would seem to make more sense to report the tie and allow the users
of the method to determine how to resolve it.

>Under what circumstances would MAM-d give a worse winner than
>regular MAM, or at least allow more strategic manipulation?

Unknown. I have not done a detailed analysis comparing the two methods.

>In regards to MAM, I was also wondering whether allowing
>equal-rankings for non-bottom candidates (as opposed to strict
>ordering) makes such Ties more or less likely.

Interesting question. However, I would guess that MAM would report
fewer ties then MAM-d (assuming this is an appropriate name).

>Or is equal-ranking important for other strategic reasons, to avoid
>requiring Favorite Betrayal?

I cannot answer this question either.