[EM] MMPO, Majority, Condorcet failures

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Mon Dec 20 03:29:38 PST 2004

Kevin,
To me the price MMPO  (MinMax Pairwise Opposition) pays for strategy
benefits you describe is just far too high,
failing as it does (Mutual) Majority and  Clone-Winner.  (Also very
unattractive to me is that it  combines meeting
Later-no-harm with failing Later-no-help, and thus having a
zero-information  random-fill incentive.)

A method that seems to perform as well in all your 3-candidate scenarios
with lots of lazy truncating voters, is
Raynaud(Gross)  with  the tiebreaker suggested by Gervase Lam.  (It
could also be called  Raynaud(opposing votes)
or  Max Pairwise Opposition Elimination).

This would fail  Mono-raise, but at least meet Clone Independence and
 (Mutual) Majority.  So in my view it is  much
better!  What do you think?

Chris Benham