[EM] MMPO replies

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon Dec 20 19:12:40 PST 2004

Chris first, then Gervase.

Chris,

 --- Chris Benham <chrisbenham at bigpond.com> a écrit :
> A method that seems to perform as well in all your 3-candidate scenarios
> with lots of lazy truncating voters, is
> Raynaud(Gross)  with  the tiebreaker suggested by Gervase Lam.  (It
> could also be called  Raynaud(opposing votes)
> or  Max Pairwise Opposition Elimination).
>
> This would fail  Mono-raise, but at least meet Clone Independence and
>  (Mutual) Majority.  So in my view it is  much
> better!  What do you think?

It's an interesting idea that I'll have to put more thought into before
commenting. I think the name it would get would be Raynaud(WV). It makes
no difference, right? The highest PO score in the matrix is always for
the winning side of a contest. When you successively delete the losers of
those contests, it seems to me there is no way to ever eliminate a
candidate based on losing opposition votes.

Since Raynaud is a Condorcet method, Later-no-harm would be lost, and
that makes me wonder where it would be noticed.

Gervase,

>> This occurred to me, but I'm worried about a Clone-Loser problem. It
>> seems to me that a party could benefit from running clones, so that the
>> opposition votes from the party's candidates have to be plowed through
>> one-by-one during the tiebreaker.
>
>Do you really mean Clone-Loser here?  If so, why not just use MMPO on the
>tied candidates?

I did mean Clone-Loser. I'm afraid I don't understand your suggestion...

> (Do Later-no-harm compliant methods inherently encourage random ranking?)

It's not passing LNHarm which causes this, but passing LNHarm while failing
LNHelp.

>Therefore, to me I think random ranking is risky.  You might as well put
>down your sincere ranking.

I agree, if you don't know what you're doing.

What I wonder about voter behavior, is whether voters could ever be
persuaded to vote "Gore>Bush" or "Bush>Gore," even if it were necessary
to keep clever minor candidates from winning.

Thanks a lot for your comments.

Kevin Venzke