[EM] 30 A, 30 A=B, 40 C>B>A example

Forest Simmons simmonfo at up.edu
Tue Dec 28 19:56:16 PST 2004

The example in the subject line is a good example with a "Futile Approval
Candidate" C in the mix.

Borda, Margins, and Winning Votes all agree that A should be the winner,
but it seems to me that the "Futile Approval Candidate" C is a decoy that
confuses the issue.  Remove C, and the obvious winner is B, the Bucklin
winner.

A Futile Approval Candidate is one that would never win under approval
even if the approval cutoff were placed immediately under his name on ever
ballot possible, i.e. on every ballot except those on which he is ranked
or rated dead last.

I believe that Futile Approval Candidates should be eliminated from the
ballots as soon as they are detected, so as not to confuse the issue
further.

To its credit Cardinal Pairwise gives the win to A or B depending on
whether B is closer to A or to C in its rating by the third faction.

Forest