[EM] 30 A, 30 A=B, 40 C>B>A example

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Dec 29 13:51:29 PST 2004

Forest,

 --- Forest Simmons <simmonfo at up.edu> a écrit :
> The example in the subject line is a good example with a "Futile Approval
> Candidate" C in the mix.

> A Futile Approval Candidate is one that would never win under approval
> even if the approval cutoff were placed immediately under his name on ever
> ballot possible, i.e. on every ballot except those on which he is ranked
> or rated dead last.

This sounds like the Plurality criterion: A candidate can't win if he has
fewer non-last rankings than some other candidate has first preferences.

> I believe that Futile Approval Candidates should be eliminated from the
> ballots as soon as they are detected, so as not to confuse the issue
> further.

I thought of doing this in order to keep MMPO//FPP from failing Plurality.
But this breaks the defection solution, since then B and C have incentive
not to rank each other.

Kevin Venzke