[EM] Re: non-determinism and PR.

Forest Simmons simmonfo at up.edu
Wed Dec 29 15:31:25 PST 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Forest Simmons wrote:

> Here are two analogous questions concerning a cycle in which A beats C beats
> B beats A:
>
> 3000 A
> 3000 A=B
> 4000 B>C
>
> (1) Suppose that A, B, and C represent parties, and that based on these
> ballots, we are supposed to allocate 100 seats in congress to the parties A,
> B, and C.  How many seats should each party get?
>
> (2) Suppose that A, B, and C represent individual candidates, and that based
> on these ballots we are supposed to put 100 marbles in a bag for a drawing to
> determine the winner.  How many marbles should each candidate get?
>
> In other words, we should be able to use ideas from Proportional
> Representation to get ideas for non-deterministic single winner methods.

I'm not claiming that every non-deterministic method gives rise to a
multiwinner system that is "proportional," nor that every PR system gives
rise to a suitable distribution of probabilities.  But I do believe that
this correspondence between seat allocation and non-deterministic methods
should be a fertile source of cross pollination, and that the
non-deterministic methods should be the main beneficiaries considering all
of the work that has gone into PR systems, compared with the little effort
that has gone into developing non-deterministic single winner methods.

Forest