[EM] March 29 Newsweek article on verifiable voting

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Apr 3 19:42:02 PST 2004

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 18:24:41 -0700 Jan Kok wrote:

> The March 29, 2004 issue of Newsweek magazine has an article about security
> for electronic voting.  Among the proposals mentioned are
>
> Rebecca Mercuri's verified voting scheme, which requires that machines print
> a paper ballot with the voter's choices, that the voter can then check for
> accuracy;
>
> David Jefferson et al's "frogs", some sort of digital storage device that
> can be used as a ballot.  (It is not clear to me from the article how that
> enhances security);
>
> David Chaum's Votegrity scheme, which uses cryptographic methods to maintain
> ballot secrecy while also allowing voters to verify that their votes are
> counted correctly (see www.votegrity.com);
>
> "A similar system [to Votegrity] sold by sftware vendor VoteHere" allows
> voters to verify that their votes were correctly recorded using a tracking
> code.
>

> It's great to see that voting security is getting some attention in the
> popular press!  Activists might consider sending letters to Newsweek.

How about leaning on IMPORTANT topics:

How well do these schemes attend to voter secrecy?
      Without secrecy, voters can sell "voting right" to those willing to
pay for such.
      Without assurance that secrecy is being maintained, voters can
PROPERLY fear that, if they dare to vote "wrong", this may be known and
result in punishment.

Voters NEED the right to inspect those boxes labeled "voting machines" to
verify whether they properly let the voters indicate their desires and
report proper counts at end of election.

     BTW - the right should be enough to ensure compliance by most vendors;

average voter is unable to do such inspection but a group of voters could

pay someone willing and able.
> Cheers,
> - Jan

                  If you want peace, work for justice.