[EM] IRV, ICC, and Incomplete Ballots

Fan de Condorcet condorcetfan at delphiforums.com
Wed Apr 14 12:04:36 PDT 2004

Hello, all.

I've been lurking for a while, and I've written to a few people here off
list, but this is my first time posting to election-methods itself.  I'm
here, because I'm interested in the implementation of better democracy.

Recently, I've become more involved in debating IRV proponents.  I'm
beginning to realize that there are some details about the method that I'm
not clear on.  If anyone could help me find answers to the following
questions, I'd appreciate it:

(1) Does IRV fail ICC whenever a voter provides equal rankings and whenever
a voter fails to give a complete ranking?  (This might be redundant, but I'm
not sure if IRV handles truncation the same way it handles other equal
rankings.)

(2) What (other) problems is IRV susceptible to when equal rankings or
truncated ballots are used?

(3) Has anyone attempted to measure an increase in voter satisfaction after
IRV has been implemented?  If so, what have the results been?

That's all for now.  Thanks for reading.

CF