[EM] Weighted Mean Approval

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 9 17:28:03 PDT 2004

It seems to me that when I first heard of Weighted Mean Approval, I didn't
understand its rules. I"ve printed out the rules that you posted, and I'll
check out its properties. It does sound Bucklin-like. For now, let me just
say that I suggest that it needs a more descriptive name.

Just at first glance, it sounds like Bucklin, except that, in the 1st count,
top-ranked candidates receive a vote (divided between a ranking's equally
top-ranked candidates), which, if it doesn't give anyone a majorilty,
becomes a whole vote for any candidate sharing 1st place in a ranking. From
then on,  it's Bucklin.

But that's just my first impression, when initially reading the rules.
Except, are you saying that, when rankings with several 1st place candidates
have been giving whole votes to them all, a majority consists of more than
half of all votes given, instead of a vote total greater than half of the
number of voters? If so, that sounds as if it would adversely affect
Bucklin's majority rule propeties.

More later, but let me know if my above statements of the WMA rules aren't
correct.

Mike Ossipoff