[EM] Reply about Strong FBC & ERBucklin(whole)

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 6 15:45:01 PDT 2004

Bart wrote:

Two questions:

(1) what methods actually meet strong FBC?

It seems to me that ERBucklin(whole), which is what I mean by "Bucklin",
meets Strong FBC.

The Approval Elimination IRV proposed by Kevin is likely to have some or
many of Bucklin's good properties. I haven't thoroughly checked it out yet,
but it could turn out to meet Strong FBC too, maybe with AERLO, or maybe
even not needing AERLO. Approval Elimination IRV seems promising, though I
haven't checked it out yet, and so I make no claims about it.

Almost surely Approval Elimination IRV's merit is somewhere between those of
Approval and Condorcet wv.

You continued:

(2) Assuming ERBucklin means Bucklin where equal-ranking is allowed, why
the "Equal" part?  If it meets strong FBC, why would anyone want to
equal-rank?

Ok, so that's three questions.

I reply:

They seem to me like just 2 questions, one of which uses 2 sentences.

The method itself, before adding AERLO, allows equal ranking, and that
allows AERLO to do automatic equal ranking. The fact that AERLO does the
equal ranking means that the voter doesn't have to, to accomplish Strong
FBC's requirement.

The voter isn't insincerely voting anyone equal. Hir sincere voting of X
over Y could make X beat Y, even though AERLO can promote Y to 1st place
with X if needed.

Mike Ossipoiff