[EM] Re: Diana's Proposed method of cycle resolution:

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Mon Sep 29 12:59:02 PDT 2003

Eric Gorr said:
> At 7:09 AM -0400 9/28/03, Donald Davison wrote:
>>A circular tie proves that the lower choices are
>>flawed.  To use the lower choices when they are flawed is the wrong
>> thing to do.
>
> For what reasons do you believe the lower choices are flawed?
>
> Why do you believe is it not possible for a voter to fully express
> their sincere opinion on how one candidate rates against another?

To amplify Eric's point, I can think of choices where my higher choices
may be less reliable than my lower choices.

Say the candidates were John McCain, Russ Feingold, and George Bush Jr.
I'm 100% certain that Bush would be my last choice, but I have so much
respect for McCain and Feingold that I'd have a tough time deciding which
is my favorite.  So my first choice could go either way, but I'd be very
confident that my second choice (whoever he is) is superior to my last
choice.

Alex