[EM] Methods, and the criteria they satisfy

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Mon Sep 29 00:15:03 PDT 2003

Markus Schulze wrote:

> Dear Bart,
>
> you wrote (28 Sep 2003):
> > I think when mentioning criteria, it's a good idea to also state why
> > those criteria might be important.  For example, to me criteria such as
> > FBC and Participation are important because they relate to a voting
> > system's immunity to the Duverger effect.
> >
> > Approval meets both of these criteria, while the Condorcet methods
> > appear to meet them whenever a CW is present.  Borda and IRV fail these
> > criteria under a wider variety of conditions, therefore both would tend
> > to reinforce the two-party system, and to restrict the number of viable
> > choices available to voters in non-partisan elections.
>
> Borda satisfies participation.

Wups, you're right, thanks.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure how important Participation is
relative to the Duverger effect.  If a group of voters is sophisticated
enough to know when to refrain from voting, it presumably would also
know how to vote insincerely.  Thus other criteria should apply more
directly.

Bart