[EM] Request for opinion

Simon Gazeley simon at gazeley.fslife.co.uk
Thu Sep 25 12:41:02 PDT 2003

Dear Robertas

In the United Kingdom, municipalities are already divided into areas
("wards") each of which returns 2, 3 or 4 councillors.  The Scottish
Parliament in Edinburgh is about to bring in PR for local government in
Scotland and has chosen STV.  Of course, there is a tradition of using
STV in Ireland (North and South), which means it is slightly less
unfamiliar to the Scots than it would be to Lithuanians.

Nevertheless, in the circumstances you describe, I consider that STV in
(say) 4-member municipal wards would be the ideal solution.

1.	To get a seat in a 4-member ward, a party would have to get 20%
of the vote.  This would act against parties with little support;

2.	To get a seat, a candidate would have to appeal to a large
cross-section of the populace, possibly to supporters of parties other
than their own.  This would act against extremist parties;

3.	Parties might be encouraged to form alliances, in which each
encourages its supporters to rank candidates of the other party
immediately below their own candidates.  This would make for stability;

4.	Which of a party's candidates are elected depends entirely on
the voters and not at all on the party machines.  This gives the elected
members a legitimacy they would not have under a list system if they
depended entirely on the party to place them high enough up the list to
get a seat.

The Senate of the Republic of Ireland is elected at large by STV, but
the voters are themselves elected representatives, not the general
public.  I do not think that manual STV lends itself well to the
election of very large numbers of representatives due to the large
number of votes that become non-transferable during the count. Meek's
formulation of STV is better, but it requires a computer.  Having taken
part for many years in elections to 15 seats (The Council of the
Electoral Reform Society in England (ers at reform.demon.co.uk)), I can say
that the novelty of ranking up to 35 candidates in order soon wears off!
I do not think that STV is reasonable for more than about 7 or 8 seats
when you are asking the general public to vote.

I hope this is helpful.  Good luck!

Best wishes

Simon