[EM] Request for opinion

robertas pogorelis robertas.pogorelis at soc.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Sep 25 03:03:02 PDT 2003

Hello,

I am new to the list, and glad to discover that its so active. I am a
political scientist currently based at Leuven, Belgium, though originally
coming from Lithuania.

I have been asked by the working group of the Lithuanian Parliament to
produce an expert opinion about possible changes to the electoral system of
local (municipal) councils in Lithuania. As myself I am not sure which
option is the best, I just though I would give you a chance to contribute
to the development of a new democracy by asking for your opinions, which
would finally help me formulating mine.

Current system: PR, one municipality-one constituency, 21 to 51 members
elected from each (depending on the number of inhabitants). Vote for a
party list, plus an optional preference vote for (up to three) candidates
on the chosen list; the party votes determine the number of seats for each
party (Hare quota); the preference votes determine the final list order.

Perceived problems:

- no scope for voting for independents (desirable at the municipal level;
in society, there is very strong anti-party disposition in general);

- high fragmentation, shaky coalitions;

- proliferation of extremist parties; a leaders popularity tends to
attract votes for his party, and facilitates the election of additional
candidates from the same list, who are often neither popular (as seen from
preferential votes) nor very educated;

- a bit strange to have open-list PR at the municipal level and a mixed
system at the national one; on the other hand, most European countries
employ some sort of PR at the municipal level. PR could strengthen parties
at grass-roots; however, in Lithuania this seems to have facilitated
forming cliques and cartels unaccountable to the public;

- no territorial representation with such large districts (desirable at the
municipal level).

Possible solutions:

-         forming smaller districts (but this would be costly, so I would
presume the parliament may wish to retain the current ones). In your
opinion, judging from the above, would this be a strong necessity?

-         Replacing PR with SNTV or some kind of Approval Voting. But can
Approval Voting be recommended in such large districts? Any countries
employing this system for local elections?

-         STV would sound good as well but again, can it be applied in
such large districts? Would it be worse than the current open-list PR?

I would appreciate your opinions very much (if possible, by this weekend).

Many thanks,

Robertas