[EM] Proposed method of cycle resolution

Diana Galletly dag1000 at eng.cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 24 02:00:01 PDT 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Markus Schulze wrote:

> you wrote (23 Sep 2003):
> > Certainly I've not seen a ballot with clones on it; and
> > I'm fairly sure they get filtered out prior to a ballot
> > being held.
>
> I guess that the reason why there have not yet been clones
> is that IRV is being used and IRV is independent of clones.

Well, maybe; but the regulations governing the conduct of ballots
contain the following phrase: "If two or more amendments have been
proposed which in the opinion of the Vice Chancellor are substantially
similar in effect the Vice Chancellor may select one of the amendments
for submission to the Regent House and may rule the other or others
inadmissible."  Which looks like a fairly good pre-filter for removing
clones.

I agree that in the more general case it's important for a method to have
independence from clones; I'm just not sure that it's necessary here.

But it's not that I'm particularly wedded to my methods; I just want to
be able to make a convincing case for whatever is to be picked.

Diana.