[EM] Dumb question - across parties

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 23 15:04:13 PDT 2003

Markus Schulze wrote :

> Dear Stephane,
>
> John proposes that open party lists should be used and that the voters
> should have the possibility to approve (resp. to rank) the candidates
> and that the candidates with the greatest number of approvals (resp.
> the candidates at the top of the ranking according to the ranked
> pairs method) should be elected. However, this means that a majority
> of the voters of a given party can fill all the seats of this party.

Yes, I understand. The goal is to avoid a majority dictatorship that
would use 50%+1 of a party electorate to impose 100% of the top runners.

> Therefore, I suggest that the voters should have the possibility
> to rank the candidates, but that these votes should be counted by STV.

And I agree that the voters should have the possibility
to rank the candidates of different parties like Markus says.
But I want to emphasize that these votes can be counted by
another method than STV.

Steph