[EM] Proposed method of cycle resolution

Diana Galletly dag1000 at eng.cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 23 09:56:02 PDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, [iso-8859-1] Kevin Venzke wrote:

> It seems to me that a cycle participant could benefit, with your methods,
> by running along with a candidate who is there only to be crushed.

There's that problem if we're talking about candidates, yes.

I _think_ if we're talking about multiple choice decisions on policies
that question is significantly less likely to arise (and to be honest
that is where the main focus of my attention is directed at the moment,
as that's the problem for which I urgently need a solution).  I don't
see it as possible that one would have multiple clone amendments (indeed
I believe that there are provisions in the Statutes to stop such happening).

One of the reasons I like my methods is that, once one has got to the
Smith set, adding a set of ballots in which A is strictly preferred to B
can only help A rather than harming its chances, unlike most (all?) of
the popular cycle resolution methods, which I think would be a good selling
point for the electorate I'm trying to assist.

Am I spouting arrant nonsense here?

Diana.