Fwd: [EM] Participation criterion: a thought

Diana Galletly dag1000 at eng.cam.ac.uk
Sat Sep 20 15:40:01 PDT 2003

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 Kislanko at aol.com wrote:

> >>So any method that fails consistency is surely also going to fail
> participation, so it's no great surprise that Condorcet methods fail
> participation.
>
> Where's the error in my logic?<<
>
> No error in your logic. We've known that consistency is not possible in any
> ranked-ballot method for 50 years.

So why the great recent worry about participation ? (myself included, I
have to admit!  The statement of the participation criterion sounds much
more important and generally worrying than the statement of the consistency
criterion.)  If I'm right in my belief that participation is a subset of
consistency then I no longer see it as a bugbear to worry about overmuch.

Diana.