[EM] untraceable receipts

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Wed Nov 12 17:44:02 PST 2003

Rob Speer said:
> So you get to confirm that you voted, but not that your vote went to the
> person you wanted to vote for?
>
> I don't think that's what people are looking for in verifiability.
>
> Then again, it's probably the best kind of verifiablity you can get
> without enabling coercion. But that's a really complicated system for
> such a small gain.

I believe that George Will once proposed eliminating the anonymous ballot.
 The rationale was that if people are voting illegally, it should be
possible to delete those illegal votes when the crime is discovered.
Forgive me if I'm mistaken in my recollection.

It's always interesting how conservatives are convinced that massive
numbers of illegal immigrants and felons are swarming American voting
booths.  I've worked at a polling place 3 times now, and I have yet to see
all that many people of any type showing up.  If there is in fact a steady
stream of voters crossing the Rio Grande illegally, they sure aren't going
to my polling place, nor are many other voters.

Alex